Specialities starting from Monrovia to Cape Town and from Dakar to Addis Ababa:
We shall cook and eat together. We shall cook different dishes each second week.
CURRENT WORKSHOP: Typical Traditional East African Dishes
Location: Bistrot Crescenda
Bundesstrasse 5, 4054 Basel
Date:09. & 20. Nov. 2018
Time: 6.30 p.m to 9:30 p.m
Amount: 3 hours à 35 CHF = 115.- per person
Duration: 3 hours
Maximum: 15 participants
Minimum: 8 participants
Please mention your preferred date when registering. The workshop will take place when a minimum of 8 participants sign up.
Menu: on the 11.07.2018
What is unique about this course:
Let's go on a journey through the African kitchen together! This workshop series will be about discovering different African cuisines twice a month.
It is not going to be just about cooking delicious local African specialties, but also about getting to know different African cultures. You will cook dishes from different African countries. Only typical traditional African specialties will be offered. We shall have rare specialities, that most people have never tried, like Matoke /cooked bananas and Binyebwa from Uganda, injera from Ethiopia and Eritrea, Muhogo / Maniok and Sukuma wiki from Kenya, mealie pap / braai from South Africa, Bolihena / Kitoza from Madagascar, etc. The courses will be held by people who come from the respective countries.
I love eating so cooking is a must
Since I love cooking and also eating, I would like to show you how the East African kitchen works. I acquired my culinary skills from my mother, who was completely convinced that all her kids, both male and female should learn how to cook well. I still remember, as if it were yesterday, when my brother called Peter loved cooking unwashed vegetables when the rest of us were away. He kept defending the fact that maggots are healthy and contain a lot of proteins, thus they should not be washed away. We all detested his thinking and found it yucky! This lead us to always watch his movements when his turn for cooking came. We still do laugh about it up to today.
You will be in a lively, relaxed and positive atmosphere. So be prepared to roll up your sleeves and enjoy the evening:
- You will prepare a healthy and delicious five-course menu with other participants.
- We shall do the shopping together.
- To make you feel like you are in Africa, we will cook and eat together in an African ambience, of course with our favourite African music.
- For every meal there will be red and white wine from South Africa.
- You will meet interesting people.
- You will get to know special spices.
- The recipes will be send to you by email.
- You will take home a surprise gift that will always remind you of the cooking workshop.
- You will receive a list of shops in Basel selling African spices and foods.
- We shall be having dinner from different african countries twice per month. Watch this page!
Who cares at all about cooking
the targeted people
- Chefs / cooks
- lovers of Africa
- People preparing for a trip or a longer stay in Africa
- Everyone who enjoys cooking
- People who want to learn something new